Pregnancy Loss & Termination Are More Common Than You Might Think
I had support from a medical textbook editor finding the most accurate & current statistics possible for my Miscarriage & Abortion Support curriculum. Many of my students have been quite shocked to learn how common these experiences are.
Miscarriage & Abortion are normal & common.
People simply don’t talk about them openly or as often as they occur due to the shame & stigma they carry in our culture.
Take a look at the stats:
- About 30% of fertilized eggs die and release spontaneously without the individual’s knowledge, with a total of 70% of conceptions lost prior to live birth1
- 15-20% of implanted pregnancies end in miscarriage during the first 20 weeks of a pregnancy1
- Most miscarriages occur during the first 7 weeks of pregnancy, with up to 50% of them occurring during the first month1
- Nearly 70% of 1st trimester miscarriages occur because of chromosomal abnormalities, not due to anything within the parents’ control2
- 59.5% of people in the US who had abortions in 2014 were already parents3
- Approximately 19% of all pregnancies (excluding miscarriages) in 2014 ended in abortion3
- 1 in 4 American people with wombs will have an abortion by the age of 454
- 91.5% of abortions are performed in the first 12 weeks (first trimester) of pregnancy, with 67.0% performed within the first 8 weeks3
- Macklon, N. S., Geraedts, J. P. M., Fauser, B. C. J. M. (2002). Conception to ongoing pregnancy: the ‘black box’ of early pregnancy loss. Human Reproductive Update, 8(4), 333-343.
- Fritz, B., Hallerman, C., Olert, J., Fuchs, B., Bruns, M., Aslan, M., … Rehder, H. (2001). Cytogenetic analyses of culture failures by comparative genomic hybridisation (CGH)– re-evaluation of chromosome aberration rates in early spontaneous abortions. European Journal of Human Genetics, 9, 539-547.
- Jatlaoui T. C., Shah J., Mandel M. G., et al. Abortion surveillance — United States, 2014. MMWR Surveill Summ 2017, 66(SS-24), 1–48. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6624a1
- Jones R. K., Jerman J. (2017, December). Population group abortion rates and lifetime incidence of abortion: United States, 2008–2014, American Journal of Public Health, 107(12), 1904-1909. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2017.304042
If you’d like to receive the extensive resource section of my Miscarriage & Abortion Support course as a free gift, enter your info in the window below. Enrollment is now open for this course, for more details & to register follow this link.